Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Drinking Vitamin C Like There's No Tomorrow.....

....to ward off what could be a new world record (or certainly a record in the Life of Bege): 3 colds in 3 weeks! Seriously need to start re-evaluating the socialising if I'm to make it through another winter!

So....Amsterdam was fantastic, though exhausting - in other words, entirely as expected. Foolishly went out on the Thurs night with some old friends I hadn't seen for ages and got rather carried away - ended up drinking champagne in Langhams hotel and going on to a film launch party at a club in Soho. Rolled into bed at 1.30am and out again at 6am to meet The Boss at Gatwick Airport. Far from ideal. Still, managed to get through the day of meetings relatively unscathed, and hauled ass to the airport to collect my very good friend Ms.K in time for a quick change at our hotel before heading to the Supper Club, an incredible experience if ever there was one. Allow me, if you will, to paint a picture: You are greeted at the heavy brass door by a large, odd-looking but jovial man who leads you through to the main room - a minimalist's dream, with white painted walls, soft lighting, tables on the downstairs floor and a mezzanine upstairs with big white cushions on which rest small glass coffee tables dotted with tealights. On the wall is an enormous tv screen, beneath it a bar heaving with beautiful waiters and waitresses as they pass food and drinks up/down through hatches to the mezzanine floor. You kick off your shoes and are led up to your table on the mezzanine by your ludicrously attractive waitress (this girl could turn a straight lady gay, I swear), who swiftly brings you champagne and invites you to sit back and enjoy. You puff on cigarettes (no smoking ban here thank you very much!) and watch the world go by, as, over the course of the next five hours, a sumptuous and well thought out five course meal is gradually brought over to you, in conjunction with fantastic entertainment (masked women crawling amongst the diners, a superb duo who mimed their way through a medley of songs with captivating precision). Quite simply one of the most wonderful dining experiences I've ever had, and that's saying something.

Spent the rest of the weekend eating, smoking (yes, that does include the odd bit of waccy baccy - well, when in Amsterdam...!), walking around aimlessly, eating and, er, smoking! Oh - and laughing. In fact, I'd say we did that more than anything else. Just what the doctor ordered. That said, it was a bloody good job we were only there for two days, otherwise I honestly think we might have forgotten to come back...

Needless to say, Monday and Tuesday last week were nothing short of a monumental struggle. By Wednesday I was back on an even keel but - true to form - managed to royally screw myself over once again by going on another internet date (I know, I KNOW! No more internet dating!! Will I EVER learn?!) In short: Banker, 33, good writer (am a sucker for good writers), on paper worthy of a date, in other words. We met in a little French restaurant in Cla'm - he was nice, not my type at all, bit arrogant but interesting to talk to, so that was the main thing. He did, however, announce once we had taken our seats that he was on antibiotics and therefore had no plans to drink alcohol. This troubled me greatly, for obvious reasons, but by half past ten (after one glass of wine - check me out with my self restraint! Or, er, was it just a fear of being labelled an alky that prevented me from ordering a second drink..?) I was pleased at the prospect of waking up clear headed the following morning. He, however, had other ideas, announcing that he did fancy a drink after all, and hauling me into a nearby bar for a cocktail session so ferocious I genuinely didn't know what had hit me. So much so that I somehow found myself back at his (very nice!) flat afterwards, though spent most of the time there telling him in no uncertain terms that I had no plans whatsoever to sleep with him and finally demanding that he book me a cab home at 2.30am! Oh the shame (but at least I kept my honour!)

Er....so, that was Wednesday of last week. Since then have had a very pleasant weekend - after a terrible meeting on Friday afternoon I sacked off all plans and went out on the town with some colleagues, which turned into a rather raucous affair (I flirted shamelessly - and fruitlessly, I might add! - with one of them, behaviour I don't exactly pride myself on with hindsight, though to be fair I do genuinely like this guy. No beer goggles required for once!) Then, on Saturday morning I awoke to a beautiful day and hot-footed it down to the Common with Housemate Cath to catch some rays. Spent about six hours lying in the sun listening to choons, eating healthy food (though given my current state of unhealthiness I would like to dispute the boffins who claimed blueberries and pomegranites were a superfood - I want my money back!!) and, er, doing a spot of shopping at BullFrog, which relieved me (or, more precisely, Natwest) of £85 in the space of ten minutes. Oops.

On Sat night I went out in Clapham with some Uni friends for what was meant to be a quiet dinner and, once again, ended up a raucous late night bender. Discovered Arch365 (or something along those lines) which is located less than a 5 minute walk from my house and is a place in which much fun can be had if Sat night was anything to go by. Ended up dancing around my friend's kitchen until about 5am and, after precious little sleep due to aforementioned friend's snoring (!), got up and walked to Clapham Junction to catch a train home. Wasn't the best of company for the rest of the day as a result, but greatly appreciated some good home cooking and the chance to rest and recuperate.

Monday was a fuzzy headed, but productive, day, and thus far today is proving similar. Did manage a gym trip last night which was most impressive, and had a very pleasant trip to the local curry house with a colleague who shall henceforth be known as The Big C (to protect his identity, which I'm sure he will appreciate!) Less pleasant for TBC, seeing as he got a parking ticket while we were having dinner. Still, I paid so it wasn't entirely disastrous!

No comments: