Thursday, 14 August 2008

My Name's Belinda and I'm an alcoholic...

Yesterday was our work summer party. Everyone finished at midday and decamped to the local pub, where the CEO of Maccy D's laid on a spanish-themed spread (paella, sangria etc). All started innocently enough, but in spite of my best intentions ie to not get drunk and embarrass myself, I ended up doing just that. My last memory, in fact, is of downing a shot of sambuca and then speaking (at length) to aforementioned CEO, trying to convince him to run next year's London Marathon with me (????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I should point out, for the record, that I have no intention whatsoever of running the marathon, which makes the whole scenario all the more odd.

Don't remember getting home but apparently I collapsed on my housemate and started mumbling incoherently about how glad I was to be home. He then had to help me into bed.

Woke up this morning fully clothed and running late, then fell down the full length of my staircase trying to beat my housemate into the shower.

Am now a) laughing stock of office and b) in agony and feeling DREADFUL.

Plus I have my personal review with my boss this afternoon (who is not impressed by my drunken antics) which promises to be fairly car crash.

Oh dear.

As it's been quite some time since last I wrote, I shall attempt a brief run-down of what I've been up to for the past few weeks (other than drinking myself into a coma at every available opportunity - oh what the hell, I'll tell you about those occasions too)....

Wales was AMAZING. Had a really, really wonderful weekend. The Welsh boy is, quite simply, adorable (not sure he'd like that description, but hey!) We had a lot of fun - driving around the stunning countryside in the sunshine, listening to music, eating ice cream, dinner at his friend's house, cooking yummy food together, swimming in natural pools in the hillside....just perfect. Am already planning a return trip, and he's coming to stay with me for five days next week! All very exciting, basically, although there is a nagging voice in my head that's telling me not to read too much into it given the distance/age/fact he's planning on going travelling next year. I know I need to just take it for what it is - a bit of fun, and hopefully a lasting friendship - but it's hard and whilst I hate to admit it I do think I'm starting to fall for him...we'll see.

So, where was I? Oh yes, drunken antics. A couple of weeks ago I really surpassed myself (as if last night wasn't bad enough) on a night out with some work people. What started off as a civilised few drinks (isn't that always how it begins..) soon developed into a full-blown piss up, with one of the guys we were out with whacking everything on his company tab. The bar bill came to £400. Between four people. And that only included two tiny plates of food to share. We consumed the following (and believe me, I'm not proud):

17 double vodkas
13 double gins
7 cocktails
7 beers
8 shots of sambuca/tequila

Needless to say by the time we left (at THREE AM!! Last I remember it was still early enough to get the tube..) we were all pretty steaming, the night culminating in a drunken search for my work phone (which I had to report as missing the following day but then turned up in Helen's bag - oops) and a double cheeseburger in McDonald's at about 4am. Still, could've been worse - my friend ended up throwing up in a bin. Crawled into bed at 5am and my alarm went off at 7am, by 8.30am was sitting dazed, confused and still absolutely hammered at my desk. Horrible.

The following w/e I went camping with some uni friends in Southampton which was great fun and once again ended in drunkenness, with us deciding at about 1am it was a good idea to walk two miles to the beach and build a fire. I then spent the next two hours stressing out that the tide was coming in and we were going to get cut off and drown, but overall it was great!

And finally, this weekend just gone I went to Grado in Italy with my best friend for four days. Was just what the doctor ordered - good food, good wine (can barely even bring myself to say that word), good conversation. Did some intensive sunbathing and came back feeling happy, healthy and rested - which I managed to bugger up in one fell swoop by getting so damn trashed last night. Oops.

Will I ever learn?

No comments: