Remembrance Sunday always makes me feel reflective – not only because of its obvious intention to make us think of the heroes who gave our lives for us in the world wars, but also because it falls at the time of year when so many big changes have happened in my life. It was around this time of year that a colleague at my previous company passed away after a prolonged fight against a brain tumour. It was also around this time of year that I decided to quit my job and move to Africa and, as it turned out, this time of year that I returned to an entirely different life from the one I had expected to be living. So I suppose you could say November now holds special significance for me, and probably always will.
The thing about change is that it’s both frightening and exciting in equal measure, and I guess it’s not surprising that being in the month I now so acutely associate with change my attention has, of late, been turning to travelling. You can imagine my surprise, then, to read not one but two scarily accurate star signs today:
Anything new and exotic appeals. You’ll feel restless if you’re trapped in the same old but you know, if you’re stuck in a rut you’re the only one who can dig yourself out. Make a conscious choice to have a better day.
You are eager to get away for a few days, but find it hard to make the necessary decisions to actually make it happen. You may be disappointed with yourself, but it's likely not your fault. Wait and see how your commitments play out over the days ahead and then return to the idea of scheduling some time off.
Not entirely sure what my point was in posting those there, especially given that star signs are notoriously inaccurate 99% of the time, but I guess I agree with the sentiment of both, plus it helps to have some kind of argument against making rash decisions (knowing what a rash creature I can be, though I feel I should add that I am completely committed to my current job and have no desire whatsoever to jeopardise that, which means the dreams I am harbouring of escaping abroad really are going to have to remain that – for now at least).
The last few weeks have been fairly uneventful all in all. To labour the point about change even further, was relieved to get through October unscathed as I had lots of memories to escape from and anniversaries to not commemorate (if you see what I mean). Now we’ve got past the year mark I’m feeling more positive about what the future may bring (but no less concerned about the rate at which I’m hurtling towards thirty and the fact I’ve still no idea what I want to be when I ‘grow up’).
Has certainly been a diverse month in terms of activities – amongst other things I have; been to the gig of someone from my writing group (Colin Mcintyre – really very good); had a very amusing night out with my very good friends Ben and Kathryn (engaged to be married don’t you know); enjoyed long overdue catch ups with various other friends; partaken in two dismal but somewhat hilarious netball matches (the most recent of which resulted in a 39-6 score – meaning the opposition scored the equivalent of a goal a minute. Oh the shame); spent some quality time en famille; attended my best friend’s sister’s 30th birthday bash in Oxford (lots of sangria punch and drinking games involving burnt corks – there my memory ends); embarked upon this year’s NaNoWriMo writing challenge, with ever diminishing success (but I’m still hanging in there – albeit by a thread); enjoyed several hours of (entirely innocent) webcam chat with a certain 21 year old South African who goes by the name of my favourite man of all time and is currently sailing to the Caribbean and sadly not sailing here to see me (!); had a surprisingly enjoyable evening at a fencing gala at the oh so posh Lansdowne Club in Mayfair (where I took rather a shine to the no.1 British Olympic under 25s fencer); had a moment of utter contentment whilst standing outside my house listening to a particularly incredible drum and bass track that has recently been released and, finally, bought a ticket to a drum and bass night as a result of my recent resurgence of interest in that particular musical genre. The night in question is next week, and I am very excited.
So much more I could say (verbal diarrhoea really should be classified as an illness) but need to do some writing before heading off to meet my housemates in Trafalgar Square. Bon weekend!
(p.s whilst on the topic of Remembrance Day I feel compelled to give a shout to my good friend Pete, who has recently been starring in a production of Journey's End, a play I studied at school and love dearly even to this day. It really conjures up the spirit of the first world war and those who lost their lives in it, and I would urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so, because it's special, in much the same way as the war poetry of that time - Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen et al had a profound effect on me when I was a teenager and will, I hope, continue to affect young people throughout the ages, even after the last veterans of the world wars are gone. Pete - I'm proud of you for being involved in such an important production and am genuinely gutted not to have seen you in action). And to all those soldiers we remember at this time of year - sleep tight. We will not forget you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment