Hope Jacqueline won't mind me alluding to her blog like this, but her most recent post ( http://dirtysparkle.blogspot.com/2009/02/know-thyself.html ) has really struck a chord with me. I think it would be fair to say (as those of you who follow this blog will have seen!) that I'm quite confused at this stage in my life - perhaps I'm languishing in one of the troughs Jacqueline refers to. But in spite of that, it's good to know that others (many thousands - if not millions - of others, I'm certain) have not only been through the same period of uncertainty, but have emerged - relatively unscathed - out the other side.
I may be a little way off my own 409 bus moment, but for the first time in a while I actually believe it might just happen :-)
P.s went to see a band called the Maccabees last night with some friends - was at a horrible bar in Kingston called Mclusky's which is clearly the resident student hangout; characteristically sticky floors; eau de vodbull lingering in the air; reams of eyelash-fluttering giggling girls gratuitously snogging floppy haired, drainpipe-jean clad indie-band wannabe boys; not a single person (besides us, that is) older than eighteen. When asked for ID by the bouncer Vicki and I were positively glowing with joy, until he said in a voice so loud that all the surrounding students sniggered, "Well clearly YOU'RE over eighteen, we just need to verify your identity matches the ticket." Mortified isn't the word. Still, the two quid pints of cider and blackcurrant made the ritual humiliation worthwhile (and the band was brilliant!)
P.p.s How's this for bizarre - I have been set up on a blind date by my first ever boyfriend (the one who got back in touch in July, took me out for dinner - purely platonic, I might add! - then got engaged and invited me to his engagement party a few weeks ago)! He reckons I'd get on very well with a good friend of his, and has taken it upon himself to hook us up for drinks in the next couple of weeks. Am trying to put my last experience of a blind date out of my mind (it was at Uni, my date got so drunk he puked in the toilet and got 'escorted' off the premises by two burly bouncers, shouting as he passed me 'meet me outside, yeah?' Er, no...) - after all, as Toby pointed out, nothing ventured nothing gained......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for those lovely words - I don't mind at all! I hope you get your 409 bus moment soon!
Post a Comment